- Emma Anderson
- November 21, 2020
Every automobile enthusiast admires the vintage cars that continue to inspire even after decades. Their design, character, and powerful performance were years ahead at the time of their launch. Not only the specs, but these cars also symbolise a particular era in the history of automobiles.
Every major car manufacturer has at least one model that is called timeless. Finding the best among them is a nearly impossible task. With all our capabilities, these are the top 10 classic cars in our list. Surely, you want to buy just like them even if you have to go for car loans.
Jaguar E-Type made headlines in 1961 with its launch in Geneva Auto Salon. The car was referred to as the most beautiful automobile at the display. It was the favourite ride of the celebrities during the 60s.
It was beautifully crafted with an amazing aerodynamics engineering. Malcolm Sayer was the man behind this marvellous design, former aeronautics engineer at Bristol Aeroplane Company. You cannot argue with Enzo Ferrari, who called it “the most beautiful car ever made”.
Initially, it had a 3.8-litre inline six-cylinder. However, it was later replaced in 1965 with a 4.2litre six-cylinder. The E-Type was also one of the first automobiles to feature independent suspension.
Here are some other facts about the Jaguar E-Type –
- Only 18 Jaguar E-Type have come to exist since its launch.
- 6 of these 18 cars were manufactured recently because they were missing.
- The recently produced car was built with the same old method as other.
- They dominated Le Mans in the 60s.
- George Best, Tony Curtis, George Harrison, Sid James are some celebs who owned this car.
The iconic Porsche 911 was launched in 1963 as the successor of 356. The original version featured a 2.0 engine with 130 bhp. The German carmaker has packed an engine with 500+ bhp in the modern 911.
Porsche 911 was more spacious, powerful, and impressive than the flat tour 356. It exceeded its predecessor 50% in terms of power. Porsche stopped the manufacturing of original 911 in 1989.
Only 16 different versions of 911 are produced to date. And the Stuttgart factory in Germany is the place where it is manufactured. This critically acclaimed car was among the top 5 car of the century in Global Automotive Elections Foundations car of the century.
These are some facts only a true Porsche 911 enthusiast knows –
- Porsche 911 has asymmetrical door mirrors.
- Earlier, the plan was to call it 901, but Pegeuot had a trademark issue.
- The horse on the logo is taken from armorial bearings of Stuttgart.
- 912 was introduced as a cheaper alternative to 911 lovers.
- Porsche was about to stop making 911 in the late 1970s.
Land Rover is still the best 4×4 for the purist. The idea was to design a vehicle that can go anywhere. There should be no limit to what you can do with the vehicle.
The first land lover, series 1, featured an 80” wheelbase. After its launch in 1948, the company continued its production until 1953. Between this period, the engine saw an upgrade with a 2.0-litre engine in 1952.
Known as the stop-gap vehicle, the Land Rover was a success that the British carmaker didn’t expect. It has been claimed that the next 25 years products were exceeded by the new orders of Land Rovers and Range Rovers in the market.
Some lesser-known facts about this British 4×4 car are –
- Land Rover car existed 30 years before the Land Rover company was founded.
- The steering wheel was in the middle of the series 1.
- Land Rover is only the second brand that was owned by all three royal warrants.
- Cambridge and Oxford used Land Rover for college expedition to different continents.
Volkswagen Beetle is the people’s car with one of the best sales records in the industry. It was an economical 4-seater vehicle that everyone can afford. You can see the appreciation for the car even after 8 decades of its launch.
The simple design featured around 200 moving parts in the air-cooled engine. The design compliments the idea that makes it a budget-friendly, adorable car. The success of this original Beetle was the reason why it spent 58 years in the manufacturing units.
Here are some notable facts about the Air-Cooled Volkswagen Beetle –
- The Volkswagen beetle also has a convertible version.
- It was the vehicle owned by the dictator of Germany.
- The popularity of Beetle was higher in the USA than Germany.
- Volkswagen means people’s car in German, while the Beetle is known as the same.
- You will find numerous original Beetles running on the road even today.
The Citroen DS was known for its futuristic design and simple interior. It was the successor of Traction Avant that ruled the market for quite a long time. There was no window frame and the rear brake lights were aligned in the eye line of the following driver.
Its top-notch comfort and all-round visibility made it a showstopper on its launch. Around 12,000 orders were recorded on the day of its launch.
Not many people know these facts about the classic Citroen DS –
- The word DS sounds like déesse, which means goddess in French.
- It secured 3rd position in 1999 of some Car of the Century competition.
- It Saved Charles de Gaulle, former French President, form an assassination attempt.
- 1,600 DS cars took part in the parade that celebrated its 50th
To conclude, these cars have made a place in history. It is hard to argue about their legendary status. However, some other models deserve mention in the list of top vintage cars. But we are short on space here.